Blog

Boiling a Frog*

There is a saying that goes: If you try to put a frog into a pot of hot water, it will just hop out again.  But if you put the frog in cold water and slowly raise the temperature, it will let itself be boiled to death.  I’ve been thinking of this metaphor a lot …

Keep ReadingBoiling a Frog*

Monday Morning Daydreams

I had a seminar at work today and I found my mind wandering, as it often does, to rubbish.  I imagined a world where people picked up the litter from in front of their houses, and businesses kept the property around their premises neat and tidy.  Everyone took responsibility for their own small patch of …

Keep ReadingMonday Morning Daydreams

Like stats?

We just finished crunching the numbers from February, and this is what we ended up with regarding recyclables found chucked out in Chippenham: Alcohol: 124 items (23% of total) Energy Drinks: 84 items (16% of total) Everything Else:* 210 items (39% of total) Milk Drinks: 19 items (4% of total) Water: 17 items (3% of …

Keep ReadingLike stats?

Rubbish Walks Book Club

In a previous environmental project I worked on, a participant commented that he wasn’t so concerned with “sustainability”, but that he hated waste.  And who could argue with that?  After all, if something can still be used, shouldn’t it be?  Why should perfectly usable products go to a landfill?   Yet this article in Wired …

Keep ReadingRubbish Walks Book Club

Right Idea, Wrong Question

Clean Up Britain asks, “Tell us whether you think it is fair to ask companies whose brands are constantly littered to make a contribution to the costs of cleaning up litter?” Yet I think this is the wrong question.  I’ve written before that mitigation (cleaning up litter) is different than a solution (actually preventing litter …

Keep ReadingRight Idea, Wrong Question

High-Tech Litter Picking?

Until very recently, my day job involved investigating how technology could encourage people to behave in a pro-environmental manner.  As a result, I am always thinking about ways modern technology can be used to make things easier, more effective and/or efficient, or help make a more positive impact on the environment than current methods.  Litter …

Keep ReadingHigh-Tech Litter Picking?

Another 230 metres (give or take)

I’ve written before about the amount of litter found along a relatively small patch during my evening walk home, and this particular area continues to be a problem zone.  Tonight’s haul included not one but two Costa cups, as well as a Red Bull can and assorted other rubbish.  The sad thing is that this …

Keep ReadingAnother 230 metres (give or take)

Rubbish Walks Rides Again

After a few weeks on holiday, we returned to picking up litter in Chippenham in very un-Florida like conditions: rainy and cold.  Why today in this weather?  We have tried to get into the habit of going on a rubbish walk on Sundays in order to capture litter from Friday and Saturday nights, and with …

Keep ReadingRubbish Walks Rides Again

A Holiday from Rubbish?

You may have noticed that Rubbish Walks has been light on the rubbish walks the past few weeks.  We’ve been on holiday in sunny Florida … but of course we checked out the verges and pavement for litter during our stay.  While it is disappointing that Florida is not litter free, it is sadder that …

Keep ReadingA Holiday from Rubbish?

Branding

The past few weeks we’ve been posting blog entries about the brands and types of recyclables found while rubbish walking in Chippenham.  As we originally mentioned, this grew out of simple curiosity, but we would like to try to take what we’ve learned to target litter prevention efforts.  For example, all the sports drinks found …

Keep ReadingBranding